Mastectomy Supplies Available
What types of external breast prosthesis are available?
There are several types of prostheses available depending on your type of mastectomy, your lifestyle and your personal preference.
- External silicone breast prosthesis: a weighted silicone external breast prosthesis intended to replace surgically removed or altered breast tissue. Breast prostheses restore shape, weight and physiological symmetry. Given that this type of breast prosthesis is weighted, it may help with posture, prevent shoulder drop and improve balance.
- Non-silicone breast prosthesis: a breast form made from a variety of non-silicone materials.
- Attachable breast form: a self-adhesive breast form that attaches securely to the chest wall. Attachment is maintained by adhesive strips, silicone based adhesion, magnets or other methods.
- Camisole with integrated form: a non-removable breast form that fits into a camisole garment. Post-surgical camisoles are often worn immediately following breast removal or reconstruction surgery or during radiation therapy.
- Partial, shaper or shell prosthesis: a breast form made of foam, fiberfill or silicone. This type of breast prosthesis is designed to be worn over your own breast tissue to enhance the overall size of the breast and to create a fuller appearance. A partial breast prosthesis can be worn with a regular bra or a post-mastectomy bra.
What is a post-mastectomy bra?
A post-mastectomy bra looks and feels like a traditional bra, but has several very special characteristics that are unique and specific for use after a mastectomy. Manufactured with an integral pocket which holds the external breast prosthesis in place, these garments can be made of a variety of fabrics. Straps and bands may be wider, cups are usually fuller to accommodate the prosthesis and the midpoint is higher for support against the chest wall. One Step Ahead & HME carries several brands of post-mastectomy products that are comfortable, fashionable, and subtle.
Wigs and Accessories
The wigs, hats, and accessories at One Step Ahead & HME are free and provided by the American Cancer Society. Our mission is to help women cope during and after cancer treatment by providing wigs, hats, and scarves. Please come in to see our selections of wigs.